Automate Life
AYL_Brian

Who is Hubitat-ing?

Just installed my Hubitat today and I must say that it's a different experience.  Not sure which parts I like and which I hate, but I do see a couple of capabilities that show up there vs SmartThings, Hue, etc..

Any insights?

3 hours ago, AYL_Brian said:

Just installed my Hubitat today and I must say that it's a different experience.  Not sure which parts I like and which I hate, but I do see a couple of capabilities that show up there vs SmartThings, Hue, etc..

Any insights?

Brian i have been looking at there rule engine (they are going to Version 4 soon) and i like it a lot the best thing i think is that all of there automation's are local. Not sure how big an advantage that is these days. Look at webcore for example and how fast it is. Can't remember the last time i lost WiFi either. So think its a great hub, but then i thought wink was a great hub when it first came out so what do i know 😀

The "local" component is their big selling point, but you're right...

When does WiFi go down?  I live in the country and literally...it almost never goes out.  ZigBee and Z-Wave control is all local anyways...there's no requirement to make automation happen with cloud access.  Even SmartThings works (except WebCore, ActionTiles, add-ons like that).  So if you're a privacy nut about your lights...Hubitat has local control.  If you don't care how much Samsung knows about your lighting, well....

The Rule Engine is impressive, but it's everything I think SmartThings is building right now.  They have grouping, they have Zone Motion Control, they have a Chromecast integration that blew my ever loving mind today, and I've been surprised by the visual interface too.  Everything is a little rough around the edges...but there's definitely some great stuff here.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, AYL_Brian said:

The Rule Engine is impressive, but it's everything I think SmartThings is building right now.  They have grouping, they have Zone Motion Control, they have a Chromecast integration that blew my ever loving mind today

I'd be interested to hear more about the Chromecast integration. If it impressed you that much as I don't have their hub, I can't look into that as much as I'd like.

Edited by Larry Underwood

So it's in Beta, but it instantly brought in every group and every cast-enabled device I had in the home.  I was able to cast local files as well as web-based files within seconds and I can create rules around it.  I can also...and this is the kicker...get my Google Home/etc. to say anything I want.  And I can pair that with the rule engine, and voila...I have speakers talking all over the home on automation.

It's everything I dreamed of from Samsung, but without having to wait. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AYL_Brian said:

I can also...and this is the kicker...get my Google Home/etc. to say anything I want.  And I can pair that with the rule engine, and voila...I have speakers talking all over the home on automation.

That sounds like what i can do with the echo speaks smartapp for the Amazon Alexa echo speaker devices (echo's, echo dots, ect.) and webcore. I can make any of the amazon echo devices in the house say anything i want and be triggered by any of my automation devices in smartthings. Example TV turns on and its after my kids bedtime i can have alexa say hey why did you turn on the tv your supposed to be in bed on their echo dot. And then have the system turn their tv off if i wanted to. That is also how i got this piston to do what it does

I have wanted a way to get the google home devices to do that as well and this sounds like it will do that. Very cool 😀 But sense almost all my smart assistant speaker and show devices are amazon devices i guess i can live without it.

Edited by Larry Underwood
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, AYL_Alan said:

Hi @Larry Underwood,

Did it take a long time to initialize your Hub? I have been sitting at 15% for quite a while now.

image.png.f35ab5d8777785cb77f03d2e3cc4a356.png

Kind Regards,

Alan

I don't use hubitat I'm using smartthings hub so not sure how to help you with that. If it was me I'd contact there tech support e-mail address that there showing.

1 hour ago, AYL_Brian said:

With?

Guess I should say how I got it working; I checked the community forum; lots people just reset the hub, but it still would hang. I just waited a long time after unplugging it; seemed to work fine after; and the new firmware was installed pretty quick.

I'm trying out a smart outlet and a micro door sensor right with the Hubitat right now.

• Like 1

Found a list of compatible devices from hubitat:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices

Hope this helps Hubitat'ers

• Thanks 1