Automate Life
Erin

What is something you bought that didn't live up to your expectations?

For me that would be my harmony hub, although I think if I went back to it and did some work it might be better than I think! I thought that I would be able to control my IR remote devices individually but it didn't seem to work that way!

I'm still waiting for Amazon to allow us to play our own source material with multi room music. Until then none of the Alexa devices will completely meet my expectations.

• Like 1

IDK, Wemo was a disappointment for me. My first and last Wifi device.
I did put it in a bad location for a wifi signal but a Zigbee protocol smart plug just worked better. Since then I picked up a couple of Z-wave plugs.
I was pretty green at the time, too. Made me learn about protocols, what a repeater does, the benefits of and how to setup a Z-wave/Zigbee network.
Wifi devices at that time did none of that. No wonder they are so inexpensive now.

Edited by MNA1966
  • Like 2

Harmony Hub's been a real up and down for me too.  There have been times where I've thought the world of it, and then the integration has broken down (multiple times) and I hate it.  It's been both.

Sonos...so disappointing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AYL_Brian said:

Harmony Hub's been a real up and down for me too.

I should add that one too. I was trying to add it to my Hubitat Hub but must have done something wrong. I can't get it to work with that either. I have been using Harmony remotes for a long time and really like them a lot.  Right now I am using the 655 which doesn't sync with the Hub. It's a much more simple version and not to hard to pick up off the table and push a few buttons. Scratch the "a few buttons", part. it's one button. An activity, all IR just like my daddy did......well, I'm older than most of you. I was my daddy's remote! lol

Anyway, my H.H. sits atop a speaker with it's red light on. I'll get around to fixing it. it's pretty low in priority.

Edited by MNA1966
  • Like 1

I have to say that wink was my biggest disappointment. I had such high hopes for it when i bought it. They promised a lot when it first came out and about 80% of what they promised never came to fruition. I really wanted to like it as it had great potential. But it never really did what i wanted it to and the automation was all web based which means a lot of the time i would walk into a room and the light would come on any where from 3 seconds to 3 minutes later.

I guess I'm lucky my harmony hub has worked perfectly sense day one. Have never had a problem with it and seems to work perfectly with smartthings.

1 hour ago, MNA1966 said:

Scratch the "a few buttons", part. it's one button. An activity, all IR just like my daddy did......well, I'm older than most of you. I was my daddy's remote! lol

I can remember the first real remote we had for our TV It made bell like sounds to change the channels. I can remember our dogs tags on his collar clinking together and changing the channels or volume on the TV. Made my dad mad when we let the dog into the house. 🙂

Edited by Larry Underwood
  • Haha 2

On 7/7/2019 at 1:54 PM, AYL_Brian said:

Harmony Hub's been a real up and down for me too.  There have been times where I've thought the world of it, and then the integration has broken down (multiple times) and I hate it.  It's been both.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:54 PM, AYL_Brian said:

Brian you don't like your Sonos, why not ? I only have two play ones & a beam but work great for me....

Edited by Sharkee

Hey Sharkee - It's not they're broken or anything, and they really do have amazing sound.  It's just that they don't really integrate well with anything else.  With such a future-ready speaker, I expected it to be ready for the future.  You know?

The future is interconnected and platform agnostic, not segregated and platform-centric.  I don't think I'll buy another Sonos product, period.

1 hour ago, AYL_Brian said:

The future is interconnected and platform agnostic, not segregated and platform-centric.  I don't think I'll buy another Sonos product, period.

Are you saying "No more ecosystems"? Yay!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MNA1966 said:

Are you saying "No more ecosystems"? Yay!

That's why I like the idea of Thread so much and the accompanying DotDot layer 🙂  It brings ZigBee and Thread together under one roof, and removes the need for "app hell"

25 minutes ago, AYL_Brian said:

That's why I like the idea of Thread so much and the accompanying DotDot layer

Do you have any recommendations to look up DotDot. I heard the word thrown around but don't really know much about it and why we can't have DotDot over Z-wave. That part is probably over my head, though.
I did the Google thing and found this: "Dotdot is the universal language of the Internet of Things, making it possible for smart objects to work together on Zigbee, IP, and other networks." Probably enough for me until it's released.

Hey Matt - So DotDot's info is really only found on the Thread.org website and https://www.speakdotdot.com/.  You'll also find a bit on https://www.zigbee.org/zigbee-for-developers/dotdot/

I think I spoke a bit about it in one of the Patreon videos where I talked about Thread...at least the benefits of it and what it could do for companies like Samsung and Apple to be able to integrate.  You should have access to that, but would have to go back a bit in the Patreon Thread. 🙂

I've had trouble with my 2 Wemo wifi plugs, which I am using for lamps. They worked fine for months, but now when they are on they will turn on and off randomly. When a lamp has turned off unexpectedly, if I ask Google to turn it back on, Google says it can't talk to Wemo right now. If I use the Wemo app I can turn it back on. So it seems like an issue with the connection between Google and Wemo. On the other hand I have a TP Link wifi switch controlling a fan and it has never lost its connection to Google.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Christina said:

I've had trouble with my 2 Wemo wifi plugs, which I am using for lamps. They worked fine for months, but now when they are on they will turn on and off randomly. When a lamp has turned off unexpectedly, if I ask Google to turn it back on, Google says it can't talk to Wemo right now. If I use the Wemo app I can turn it back on. So it seems like an issue with the connection between Google and Wemo. On the other hand I have a TP Link wifi switch controlling a fan and it has never lost its connection to Google.

Christina, i have heard this from many other Wemo customers . That everything worked great but then they just stopped working or they work intermittently.  I'm sorry to tell you this but from my experience the problem is with the device itself. Not a lot to do about it except replace them I'm afraid. Others might disagree with me but that has been my experience.

GE Z-Wave motion sensor, what a POS! Take's 3 mins for it to register the next movement to save battery's. Im surprised so many people having issues with Harmony Hub. It's had updates where it didnt support the HA platform, but its been updated and has worked great for me, though I dont do anything super complex. Just need it to turn off when going to bed and leaving the house.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stickey said:

GE Z-Wave motion sensor, what a POS! Take's 3 mins for it to register the next movement to save battery's. Im surprised so many people having issues with Harmony Hub. It's had updates where it didnt support the HA platform, but its been updated and has worked great for me, though I dont do anything super complex. Just need it to turn off when going to bed and leaving the house.

Yeah I think it's when you try to do the more complex stuff and connect it to more platforms...I think that's where it goes sideways.

The harmony remote is awesome and I love it! I had really hoped the hub would help me integrate and use other remote control in my home. It just didn't work the way I wanted it to. 

• Like 1