Automate Life
Sign in to follow this  
David

New/new to me Alexa features

Additions to routines:

You can now add many sound effects to routines from animals to red alert from Star Trek. Unfortunately there is no way to loop the sounds, you must add each action to your routine separately if you want a longer sound. Also you are confined to a single device, can't use the everywhere group.

Guard can now be activated with some routines but not deactivated and location based routines cannot be used. What was Amazon thinking? It would make much more sense to incorporate Guard to location so that it automatically switches to Away when I leave and Home when I arrive home.

Also you can have an Echo display a pulsing yellow notification light when a reminder is missed.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 9:02 AM, David said:

Additions to routines:

You can now add many sound effects to routines from animals to red alert from Star Trek. Unfortunately there is no way to loop the sounds, you must add each action to your routine separately if you want a longer sound. Also you are confined to a single device, can't use the everywhere group.

Guard can now be activated with some routines but not deactivated and location based routines cannot be used. What was Amazon thinking? It would make much more sense to incorporate Guard to location so that it automatically switches to Away when I leave and Home when I arrive home.

Also you can have an Echo display a pulsing yellow notification light when a reminder is missed.

They are getting there with these routine additions though...boy oh boy.

Did anyone notice the Fire TVs displaying the words of your notifications or reminders now?

55 minutes ago, AYL_Brian said:

Did anyone notice the Fire TVs displaying the words of your notifications or reminders now?

Nope, I got tired of announcements turning on all my tvs so I disabled communications.

Alarms for some unknown, stupid reason will not work with speaker groups, only 1 echo at a time and without the sub of course.

So I found a workaround!

Create a routine for a specific time, set to repeat on a schedule if you would like. Add action to play music. At the play line I entered the station name followed by the speaker group name. For example "Iheartchristmas station everywhere" and now all my echos, pairings and subs in my everywhere group will play I heart Christmas from I heart radio. Or for a single speaker group (1 echo show 5,  echo plus &  echo 3rd gen stereo pair and  a sub) I entered "Lost 80's station in Bedroom"

I also added another action and moved it to the top of que to be an increase in volume to make sure I wake up.

Why amazon won't allow this under alarms is beyond me but I now have what I wanted, a repeating alarm on 3 echos and a sub.

On 11/12/2019 at 5:25 PM, David said:

Care to elaborate?

Hi @David Once you install the skill, you can get the latest Automate Your Life YouTube videos or wake up to Brian on your Echo Show.... kind of reminds me of Max Headroom (is that what his name was?). Just Kidding.

Echo Studio can support multiple wifi networks. I took my studio to work last week, set it up on another network, brought it back home and didn't need to change anything. It automatically connected back to my home network. Don't know if this is new, when it started or if it's all echos.

While connected to my work network it also gave me notifications, announcements, and reminders from my home network but that might be because both networks were tied to my phone.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 6:57 AM, David said:

Echo Studio can support multiple wifi networks. I took my studio to work last week, set it up on another network, brought it back home and didn't need to change anything. It automatically connected back to my home network. Don't know if this is new, when it started or if it's all echos.

While connected to my work network it also gave me notifications, announcements, and reminders from my home network but that might be because both networks were tied to my phone.

I don't think it was nearly that easy before David.  And the notifications and things from your home network is a very useful scenario!

• Like 1

You can now set a reminder for every x number of days. You can choose anywhere from 1 to 31 days

• Like 2