Automate Life
Sign in to follow this  
David

New/new to me Alexa features

I thought I would start a thread not tied to a specific topic where we could list different features introduced by Amazon or older ones that many may not have discovered yet.

Previously listed were re-reminders and string of commands.

This week Amazon updated the Show 2nd gen with the smart home dashboard of the Show 5.

Also I found that you can change the volume of a group of Echos at once just by asking. Before I was changing volume device by device.

Again, not sure if this is new or not but it's new to me.

• Like 1

Ok so new to me this week is a red lettering/number mode when in the dark on the Echo Show 5.

Also, I can take a picture and have it instantly uploaded to Prime Photos and included as part of my photo rotation.  Also, show 5

• Like 1

I have a Echo remote paired to my Echo Show so it can hear me when the volume is too loud. Amazons software disables the remote when playing in a group. Tonight I noticed that the microphone button now works when playing in a group. Still can't use the volume buttons or change tracks with buttons but you can ask for those things with the mic button. So the remotes can now be partially used.

• Like 1

Technically not Echo specific but the official Youtube app is now available on most Fire devices. Not available on the Shows yet.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Is this new?

Now granted, I've only had echos with a screen for a month now but tonight I noticed while playing music the display offers controls: previous track, pause/play, next track, lyrics on/off, repeat, and shuffle along with a status bar.

Edit: this is certainly new to the fire tablets.

Edited by David

There's also some new organization coming to Alexa-based shopping.  Basically the devices will organize by category and group similar items together for sharing.

So this is kinda cool, the show5 has a new clock face available that is basically just a turntable image that is quite colorful if you set it to random. But what I found neat was if the device is muted, the screen will go grey with the clock hands, date and temperature going red like the light rings on regular echos when muted.

EDIT: apparently this was not an indication of being muted, it was the night mode for that particular clock face.

Edited by David
  • Like 1

Timers and alarms can now be stopped from any echo without having to remember the device name. Just say stop alarm or stop timer and the echo in the other room will stop.

You can now set a timer on another echo from any other but you do have to remember the device name. Hopefully amazon will allow this soon for alarms. Timers sounding on multiple echos would also be useful.

• Like 1

Many of us know that you can ask alexa to remember something such as a birthday or password and later retrieve that info by asking for alexas memories. Now that information is also included on the app under lists and notes.

Why is Amazon not promoting new features or at least have a section on their site to list this stuff? Wonder why we have to stumble on it ourselves. Seems like a bad business plan.

Edited by David
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 6:37 AM, David said:

brighten your lights slowly in the morning without your alarm sounding, or to slowly dim them at night, add the action to a routine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G4XRFPC74SLMCK72&tag=theverge02-20

This eliminates having to ad all the wait features and light changes in routines.

Hey @David - Is this for all connected lights?  I haven't been able to try yet!  I'm in the middle of a move...

Looks like all dim-able lights. Option available on all my dimmer switches, hue bulbs and sylvania bulbs and led light strips.

Definitely simplified my wake up routine.

Did you guys notice a pairing option with your Fire TV and your stereo speakers (including the sub)?!?!?

Just got my speaker setup did and done.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 9:29 AM, AYL_Brian said:

Did you guys notice a pairing option with your Fire TV and your stereo speakers (including the sub)?!?!?

Not available for fire tv edition tvs. I'm still limited to 1 echo and no pairing with sub.

Features like this need to be released across all fire devices at the same time.

On 11/6/2019 at 9:29 AM, AYL_Brian said:

Also in this same section of the app you can now rename stereo/theater speaker groupings. Before this week all pairs were called stereo pairs and it became confusing with multiple pairings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not new, not really, ok kinda, after 81 long days Amazon has finally gotten around to fixing the broken link between Fire TV Edition TVs (Insignia and Toshiba). So if you have an Echo you can now be so lazy that you never need to touch the remote.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AYL_Brian said:

Uhhh...did anyone notice the new Amazon Alexa skill for Automate Your Life!?!?!?!?  Rolling out today!

Care to elaborate?

• Like 1

We actually have a skill now that you can download!  It's getting lots of new features as we go.  Go ahead and try it out!  It's called Automate Your Life!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AYL_Brian said:

We actually have a skill now that you can download!  It's getting lots of new features as we go.  Go ahead and try it out!  It's called Automate Your Life!

Already installed & used 👍

• Like 1