Automate Life
Erin

What is the next thing that you want to add to your smart home set up?

The next thing I plan to add to my smart home is an indoor camera pointing at the front door. My alarm has been set off a few times and taken photos/videos. Unfortunately, the person is already inside by then so I can't quickly see what's happening and decide if it's a real alarm or accidental. It only takes an extra minute or two to go into the saved videos triggered by the motion detector but when you are stressed that seems like a lot..

If money weren't an object I would add smart blinds/curtains!

• Like 1

Great topic!

I would like to try out the echo sub. I plan on installing smart deadbolts on some of my exterior doors. I also would like a robotic vacuum cleaner.

On the flip side I need to sell my wemo smart plugs because, well, they're wemo.

When I started out I put a echo dot in every room since they were so cheap. I have since upgraded some of them to full sized echos, pluses, or shows so I need to sell some of my dots.

• Like 2

Lots, I want to change my LightwaveRF devices as i had a few light switches and plugs controlling lights etc, these were not cheap and didn't last as long as hoped. so looking into alternatives that will give me status through SmartThings Hub.

Same as David would like to look at door locks but not seen anything yet that stands out, and a what home doesn't need a robotic vacuum what would I call it, is it a boy or a girl tough decisions! hopefully get a black Friday deal on one.

Also looking into external cameras I do have Nest door bell and one external camera, I do think they are good even paying for subscription isn't an issue i like the facial recognition but waiting to see google/nest integration goes before I buy anything else from them.

Nick 

• Like 2

Great topic Erin!

I'm still adding sensors.  When I finally do my own home tour, you will all see how ridiculous I'm going to get with sensors.  I want everything mapped, and I want it automated perfectly.  So, I'm adding sensors of many types and in many different spots.  It's not just a door sensor anymore. 😉

• Like 1

I'm (still) waiting for a Lutron Aurora I pre-ordered.

For those who don't know what it is it's an (overlay) switch that can Dim your Bulbs It can control up to 50 Hue bulbs. More bulb compatibility is supposed to be added.

Oh, and a Hue Go lamp.

Edited by MNA1966
  • Like 1

I'm excited to hear how it works for you! It seems like it will be a great product! 

• Thanks 1

I really need a few contact sensors for my pantry lights and something for my washer/dryer. Not sure if I want to go electric based or motion based. I would like a robot vacuum, some cameras (local), and smart blinds would be sweet. For my small place, I dont really need a whole lot.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2019 at 8:32 PM, Erin said:

The next thing I plan to add to my smart home is an indoor camera pointing at the front door. My alarm has been set off a few times and taken photos/videos. Unfortunately, the person is already inside by then so I can't quickly see what's happening and decide if it's a real alarm or accidental. It only takes an extra minute or two to go into the saved videos triggered by the motion detector but when you are stressed that seems like a lot..

If money weren't an object I would add smart blinds/curtains!

I'm with you Erin, my next big addition will be smart blinds, I just need to figure how to install them without the Mrs finding out 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2019 at 8:05 AM, Lord Jones said:

Lots, I want to change my LightwaveRF devices as i had a few light switches and plugs controlling lights etc, these were not cheap and didn't last as long as hoped. so looking into alternatives that will give me status through SmartThings Hub.

Same as David would like to look at door locks but not seen anything yet that stands out, and a what home doesn't need a robotic vacuum what would I call it, is it a boy or a girl tough decisions! hopefully get a black Friday deal on one.

Also looking into external cameras I do have Nest door bell and one external camera, I do think they are good even paying for subscription isn't an issue i like the facial recognition but waiting to see google/nest integration goes before I buy anything else from them.

Nick 

Hey @Lord Jones I've just seen this on the SmartThings community boards about Lightwave RF being SmartThings compatible now https://community.smartthings.com/t/july-2019-official-lightwave-rf-integration/168125

• Like 1

I want a new deadbolt, but finding the right one is tough, and that tech may just be too young still. I want to avoid having a huge brick on the in facing side of the door. I get the need for batteries, but I can’t sell myself on a look that I hate. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 11:46 AM, Erin said:

I'm excited to hear how it works for you! It seems like it will be a great product! 

I had to order it again.
Long story short, suspicious charges on my C..C./ card gets locked/get a new card/it's locked too/ unlock it (eyes roll)/never charged/waits for Prime Day. I doubt it but waits anyway. LOL

Great topic BTW!

Do

On 7/7/2019 at 11:46 AM, Erin said:

Do you know what came in today?
The Lutron Aurora

The dimmer switch is stupid easy to install and setup.
Actually, they have you pair it first. By the instructions, anyway. You go into the Hue app, under accessories /friends of Hue and pair it.
Supper easy to do.
Then you can add this ring around a toggle switch and snap the actual switch part to this ring.
And you're done in like 3 minutes.

Now I have a switch that can't be left off and is paired to my Hue bridge.
The room is also my entertainment room, according to Hue.

Very simple to operate, just like any dimmer switch. A push will toggle on/off and twisting it will dim/brighten.

The only con is its price. When I took it out of its over-sized box, I said to myself, out-loud! I can't believe this is $40 bucks.
The price is for its design. I was setup and had it working in just a few minutes. The switch is the smallest I have ever seen. I wish two things. 1) it was cheaper. 2) it was compatible with more than Hue. That is coming I hear but if it was cheaper I'd buy two more for this small apartment.

BTW, I have a Hue go lamp, Light strip behind my TV and three bulbs. It worked with'em all, no  problems.

UPDATE: I have this switch paired through my Hubitat Hub. They wrote their own driver for this switch which is MUCH better. You can pair ANY Zigbee lights, not just Hue. You can even
 cycle through the colors with the dimmer if you wish to.

Edited by MNA1966
  • Like 1

I want to motorize my blinds and connect them to HomeKit. I want to be able to close them when I'm not at home…

• Like 1