Automate Life
Hathakhm

Tiny Geofencing option for Wyze Cam

I live in an apt and have an unattached garage that I installed a Wyze cam in to give me peace of mind. I would like to find a way to enable and disable the camera that is automated based on where I am... Ideally when I'm in or near the garage. The nearest corner of my apt is about 100 feet away. Obviously I don't want the camera disabled while I'm in my apt, but I do want it disabled when I'm in the garage. Unfortunately the Geofencing option on IFTTT is too large and covers the entire apt complex (and the complex next door) for it to be a viable option. I know that I can enable and disable it with my voice via Google, if I remember to do that; which is why I would prefer something more automated. Is there any other options that have a smaller geofencing area or allows for a custom area that I could use?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

~Hath

This is an interesting one...

What other assets do you have around?  As in, what are you using for WiFi, what other automation systems do you have?

What about a routine with a contact sensor on the garage door triggering power on/off with a smart plug on your camera

3 hours ago, AYL_Brian said:

This is an interesting one...

What other assets do you have around?  As in, what are you using for WiFi, what other automation systems do you have?

I agree with Brian we need to know more about your setup so we can see what we have to work with.

Currently I don't have any other assets in the garage and only 3 Google Home minis and several hue lights in the apt, but I could buy a Wyze Sense kit. I just don't see how having it tied to the garage door being open is helpful since that's the only entrance... So even if a thief is coming in to the garage, the garage door has to open, and if it disables the camera as it opens, then that's not really protecting the place. I suppose an option would be to manually enable and disable the camera, and have a light change to red to give a visual reminder that the camera is off... Not an ideal solution since it's not 100% automated, but it could work.

The WiFi is off of the 2 device wifi from our Spectrum Internet. I wish the Wyze Cam could connect to the 5ghz network we have, but it doesn't.

Edited by Hathakhm
Forgot to add what the wifi is

i don't know enough about the wyze sense automations to be able to say for sure that you could or could not do it. I do know that i could do it with a automation with smartthings and webcore. I would put 2 contact sensors on the doors. One on your garage door and the other on the door you use to exit the apartment. I would setup the automation so when you open your apartment door it disables your wyze cam via a ifttt applet. Then if your garage door doesn't open within say 10 min of that event to re-enable the camera. There maybe another way to do it but i haven't worked with wyze sense enough to know for sure but i think that maybe beyond its limits. I do know that if you want your camera to stay enabled while in your apartment but not in the garage and there that close together that you will not be able to do that with Geo-fencing. I think Brian has worked with the wyze sense products so maybe he can say for sure if it can do it or not.

Edited by Larry Underwood

Here's what I would do.

Either use IFTTT and set your address as somewhere away from your home.  Make sure your home is in the radius, but not your garage.  If you don't find that accurate enough, then use Life 360.  I've found it more accurate.  Life 360 uses a radius of 250 feet.  You don't need to pay for the app, and you can have two people on it and connect it with IFTTT.

19 hours ago, AYL_Brian said:

Here's what I would do.

Either use IFTTT and set your address as somewhere away from your home.  Make sure your home is in the radius, but not your garage.  If you don't find that accurate enough, then use Life 360.  I've found it more accurate.  Life 360 uses a radius of 250 feet.  You don't need to pay for the app, and you can have two people on it and connect it with IFTTT.

I will try that. Thank you Brian.

FWIW, I have noticed that the IFTTT app is incredibly inaccurate when it comes to GPS. I once had the bright idea of using it to switch my phone's wifi on and off when I was home or not... and just staying in one spot at home it would constantly claim I was at home and then not at home seconds later, only to claim I was home a few minutes later. I got so tired of it I had to disable that applet. 

1 hour ago, Hathakhm said:

I will try that. Thank you Brian.

FWIW, I have noticed that the IFTTT app is incredibly inaccurate when it comes to GPS. I once had the bright idea of using it to switch my phone's wifi on and off when I was home or not... and just staying in one spot at home it would constantly claim I was at home and then not at home seconds later, only to claim I was home a few minutes later. I got so tired of it I had to disable that applet. 

I first learned of life 360 from another you tube content provider called Dr Zzzz. He said it was more accurate then just about anything else he had used. I have tried life 360 and it is more accurate but even with it in my part of the world anyway it was not very reliable. You may will have better luck with it then me though as many people say it works well for them.

Edited by Larry Underwood

I like that the Life360 has a smaller geo-fence that doesn't take up a substantial portion of my neighborhood. It's still bigger than I need, but it's much more workable. And I found an applet in IFTTT that meets my needs better.. It doesn't turn off the camera, just turns off the notifications, which is what was really all I wanted to stop. "Enable notifications and motion detection when you leave home on Wyze" and had it tied in with the Life360 location easily enough. We'll see how it works over the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the help folks.

• Like 1