Automate Life
James

Outdoor Motion Sensor - Australia

Hi,

I'm after a wireless outdoor motion sensor that's works with SmartThings (ST), however I haven't been able to find one. I'm looking for either of the protocols (wifi, ZigBee, or z-wave 919.8 MHz, 921.4 MHz), but I prefer z-wave as I have a double brick house.

If anyone has come across such a product or a solution, please send me the link.

Regards 

James

Hey James - What are you trying to accomplish?  And do you care if it's battery or powered?

Posted (edited)

Hi Brain,  I want my porch and driveway light to come on if motion is sensed in the front yard (lights use z-wave switch).   I'd prefer battery to avoid the additional wiring and the flexibility to position 1 or many as needed easily. 

Im running a ASUS GT-AC5300 router to get a half strength 2.4ghz signal through the brick walls, so wifi is still an option, just not preferred over zwave.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Edited by James

You know that Aeotec I showed last week?  Totally up your ally.  In your part of the world, I'd use any old Z-Wave sensor and just put a cover over top it to protect it from rain.  I think you're good.

The reason I say the Aeotec is it's actually able to be placed in high temperature ranges and is meant to be put outside.  It's just not sealed for the outdoors.  There's an AU version too. 🙂

https://aeotec.com/z-wave-sensor/

Thanks, I thought of this, but we get some wild tropical storms in summer and I'm concerned water will get in.  Perhaps I'll need to build an enclosure of sorts or look to the old silicone.  

Yeah, there's a recessed version but you'd have to have a pretty specific spot for that and then still silicone like you said. 😞